THE ORTHOPAEDIC CENTRE
Dr Chin Pak Lin
Medical Director, Hip and Knee Specialist
MBBS, MRCSEd, MMed (Ortho), FRCSEd (Ortho)
Dr Chin, a hip and knee specialist surgeon, graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1998. He obtained both his postgraduate Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, as well as his Masters of Medicine in Orthopaedic Surgery in 2003. He subsequently obtained his Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in Orthopaedic Surgery in 2007. He was a Consultant within the Adult Reconstructive Service in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Singapore General Hospital, having pioneered several key developments:
- Computer-aided orthopaedic surgery
- Computerized templating system, computerized post-op data entry
- Robotic Knee Surgery
- Revision hip and knee surgery (surgical rescue)
- SGH Bone Bank
Dr Chin has an active interest in complex joint replacement surgery. Dr Chin’s contribution lies with his expertise and experience in hip and knee replacement surgeries using the latest techniques. This includes joint preservation techniques to major reconstruction. He is a regional expert in computer-aided techniques and most recently robotic assisted surgery. He frequently shares his experience in the region through courses and medical exchange programs. He still volunteers his time at the AMK community hospital and SIF Specialist project in Cambodia.
Dr Chin completed his orthopaedic fellowship under the auspices of the Singapore Government Ministry of Health Training Scholarship at the Manchester Royal infirmary, United Kingdom, in the field of Revision Joint Arthroplasty.
- Arthroscopic Microfracture Technique for OA knees- ASEAN Orthopaedic Journal- Vol 16 No.1 Jan 2004 (59-61)- Chin PL, Chang CCP, Mitra AK
- Randomized Control Trial Comparing Radiographic TKA Implant Placement using Computer Navigation vs. Conventional Techniques-Journal of Arthroplasty 2005 Aug;20(5):618-26- Chin PL, Yang KY, Yeo SJ, Lo NN
- RCT Comparing Radiological Outcomes of Conventional Versus Minimally Invasive Techniques for TKA- Journal of Arthroplasty. 2007 Sep; 22(6): 800-6. Epub 2007 Apr 20- Chin PL, Foo LS, Yang KY, Yeo SJ, Lo NN
- Randomized Controlled Trial on Thromboembolic Prophylaxis in Asian TKR Patients- J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2009 Apr; 17(1): 1-5. Chin PL, Amin MS, Yang KY, Yeo SJ, Lo NN
- Continuous Infiltration of Local Anesthetic Following Total Knee Replacement- Ong CAJ, Chin PL, Tay BK. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 2010;18(2):203-7
- Single Shot Intra-articular Injection after Total Knee Arthroplasty- Seah WTV, Chin PL, Yang KY, Chia SL, Yeo SJ, Lo NN. Singapore Med J 2011; 52 (1)
- Hazards of Total Knee Replacement: A Case Report: Puah KL, Chin PL, Lo NN. SGH Proceedings Vol 19 No 3 2010.
- Intraoperative Morphometric Study of Gender Differences in Asian Femurs- Chin PL, Tey TT, Mohd YBI, Chia SL, Yeo SJ, Lo NN- J Arthroplasty. 2011 Feb 11
- Computer Assisted Gap Balancing Technique Improves Outcome in Total Knee Arthroplasty, Compared with Conventional Measured Resection Technique- Pang HN, Yeo SJ, Chong HC, Chin PL, Ong J, Lo NN, Yeo SJ- Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2011 Mar 30.
- Function and Quality of Life in Patients With Recurvatum Deformity After Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Review of Our Joint Registry -Mashfiqul A S, SJ Yeo, Potla S, SL Chia, PL Chin, NN Lo-J Arthroplasty. 2012 Jun; 27(6):1106-10. Epub 2011 Dec 9.
- Two-Year Outcome of Early Deep MRSA Infections after Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Joint Registry Review- Siddiqui MM, Lo NN, Ab Rahman S, Chin PL, Chia SL, Yeo SJ. - J Arthroplasty. 2013 Jan; 28(1):44-8. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2012.04.007. Epub 2012 Jun 6.
- A novel technique employing conventional Instruments with Computer aided Surgery in Total Knee replacement-Kang Yida Benjamin Joseph, Mohd. Mashfiqul A. Siddiqui, Chin Pak Lin- Orthopaedic Journal of China Vol 20. Sept 2012.
- Evaluation of the relationship between anteroposterior translation of a posterior cruciate ligament-retaining total knee replacement and functional outcome.- Seah RB, Pang HN, Lo NN, Chong HC, Chin PL, Chia SL, Yeo SJ.- J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012 Oct;94(10):1362-5.
- Simple Novel Bone Bank Storage: The Singapore General Hospital Experience-Chay-You Ang, Danny Shi-Theng Loh, Hoe-Wai Chaw, and Pak-Lin Chin; Biopreservation and Biobanking, Volume 10, Number 6,Dec 2012
- Joint line changes and outcomes in constrained versus unconstrained total knee arthroplasty for the type II valgus knee.-Pang HN, Yeo SJ, Chong HC, Chin PL, Chia SL, Lo NN.-Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013 Jan 16
- Simultaneous versus staged bilateral unicompartmental knee replacement.-Chen JY, Lo NN, Jiang L, Chong HC, Tay DK, Chin PL, Chia SL, Yeo SJ; Bone Joint J. 2013 Jun;95-B(6):788-92
- Revision total knee arthroplasty: causes and outcomes.-Tay KS, Lo NN, Yeo SJ, Chia SL, Tay DK, Chin PL; Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2013 Apr; 42(4):178-83.
- Comparative Demographics, ROM, and Function After TKA in Chinese, Malays, and Indians.-Siow WM, Chin PL, Chia SL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ.-Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Jan 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Less outliers in pinless navigation compared with conventional surgery in total knee arthroplasty.-Chen JY, Chin PL, Tay DK, Chia SL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ.;Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013 Mar 2.
- Pre-operative Recurvatum Deformity With Knee Osteoarthritis: Is Hinge Prosthesis Always Necessary? –Masfiqul A S, Yeo SJ, Chin PL, Chia SL, Tay KJD, Lo NN- JOA accepted
- The Radiological Outcomes of Patient Specific Instrumentation versus Conventional Total Knee Arthroplasty- Chen JYG, Chin PL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ; Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy; Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013 Aug 31
- A Singapore perspective on the use of a short course of chemothromboprophylaxis in patients who underwent total knee arthroplasty- Low MH, Yeo SJ, Chin PL, Chia SL, Lo NN, Tay KJ -Singapore Med J 2013; 54(10): 560-563; http://dx.doi.org/10.11622/smedj.2013200
- Factors associated with improved outcomes and quality-of-life scores following total knee replacement- Tan SC, Chin PL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ- Journal Of Orthopaedic Surgery (JOA1871)- Accepted for publication
- Functional Outcome of a randomized Control Trial Comparing Total Knee Arthroplasty using Computer Navigation vs. Conventional Techniques- Lee WT, Chin PL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ; The Scientific World Journal
- Unconstrained arthroplasty in type II valgus knees: posterior stabilized or cruciate retaining? -Ang CL, Fook S, Chia SL, Chin PL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ.-Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013 Sep 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Robot-Assisted Total Knee Arthroplasty accurately Restores The Joint Line And Mechanical Axis. A Prospective Randomised Study.- MHL Liow, X Zhan, MK Wong, KJD Tay, SJ Yeo, Chin PL; JOA-D-13-001092R1
- Employing Conventional Instrumentation with Computer-aided Surgery in Total Knee Replacement – Making it Simple; Mashfiqul A Siddiqui, Chin Pak Lin; Proceedings of Singapore Healthcare § Volume 22 § Number 4 § 2013
- Early Experiences with Robot-Assisted Total Knee Arthroplasty using The DIGIMATCH, ROBODOC Surgical System-SMJ Accepted.; Lincoln L, Chin PL, Darren TKY, Chia SL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ
- Quality of Life, Outcome Scores, and Prognostic Factors of Persistent Fixed Flexion Deformity at Six Months after Total Knee Arthroplasty; Yew AKS, Chia S-L, Chong HC, Chin PL, Tay DKJ, Lo NN, Yeo SJ ; Proceedings of Singapore Healthcare ;Volume 22 ; Number 5 ; 2013
- Total Knee Arthroplasty Complicated by Distal Deep Venous Thromboembolism: Does it Affect the Functional Outcome? Zhou ZH, Yew AKS, Chin PL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ, Chia S-L; Proceedings of Singapore Healthcare ;Volume 22 ; Number 6 ; 2013
- Management of Periprosthetic Fracture in Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty Patients: A Case Series ; Woo YL, Chin PL, Lo NN, Chia S-L, Tay DKJ, Yeo SJ; Proceedings of Singapore Healthcare ;Volume 22 ; Number 7 ; 2013
- Can Tranexamic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide Reduce Blood Loss in Cemented Total Knee Arthroplasty? ; Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery; Chen JY, Chin PL, Tay DK, Chia SL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ-Accepted AOTS-D-14-00032
- Evaluation of Medial-Lateral Stability and Functional Outcome Following Total Knee Arthroplasty: Results of a Single Hospital Joint Registry.; Seah RB, Yeo SJ, Chin PL, Yew AK, Chong HC, Lo NN. J Arthroplasty. 2014 Apr 18. pii: S0883-5403(14)00257-5. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2014.04.015
- Radiological outcomes of pinless navigation in total knee arthroplasty: a randomized controlled trial. Chen JY, Chin PL, Li Z, Yew AK, Tay DK, Chia SL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ.-Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014 Aug 14.
- Cruciate retaining versus posterior stabilized total knee arthroplasty after previous high tibial osteotomy.-Chen JY, Lo NN, Chong HC, Pang HN, Tay DK, Chin PL, Chia SL, Yeo SJ.-Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014 Aug 31
- Recovery in knee range of motion reaches a plateau by 12 months after total knee arthroplasty.-Zhou Z, Yew KS, Arul E, Chin PL, Tay KJ, Lo NN, Chia SL, Yeo SJ.-Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014 Sep
- Functional outcomes of a randomized controlled trial comparing computer navigated total knee arthroplasty vs. conventional techniques- Accepted for publication (JOA2062)
- Association of surgeon factors with outcome scores after total knee arthroplasty. Tan SC, Chan YH, Chong HC, Chin PL, Yew A, Chia SL, Tay D, Lo NN, Yeo SJ: J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2014 Dec;22(3):378-82.
- Outcomes and survivorship of unicondylar knee arthroplasty in patients with severe deformity. Seng CS, Ho DC, Chong HC, Chia SL, Chin PL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ:Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014 Dec 3
- Genu Recurvatum versus Fixed Flexion Deformity after Total Knee Arthroplasty – which is the lesser evil?- Kevin Koo, Amila Silva, Hwei Chi Chong, Pak Lin Chin, Shi Lu Chia, Ngai Nung Lo and Seng Jin Yeo: Clin Orthop Surg. 2016;8:e19. English. Published online Feb 15, 2016.
- Robotic-assisted total knee arthroplasty may lead to improvement in quality of life measures: A 2-year follow-up of a prospective randomized trial Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy: Liow MH, Goh GS, Wong MK, Chin PL, Tay DK, Yeo SJ.-Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016 Mar 26 Ref.: Ms. No. KSST-D-15-01355R3
- Intravenous versus intra-articular tranexamic acid in total knee arthroplasty: A double-blinded randomised controlled noninferiority trial. Chen JY, Chin PL, Moo IH, Pang HN, Tay DK, Chia SL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ.-Knee. 2016 Jan;23(1):152-6. doi: 10.1016/j.knee.2015.09.004. Epub 2015 Dec 30.
- Age and Preoperative Knee Society Score Are Significant Predictors of Outcomes Among Asians Following Total Knee Arthroplasty.-Bin Abd Razak HR, Tan CS, Chen YJ, Pang HN, Tay KJ, Chin PL, Chia SL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ.-J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016 May 4;98(9):735-41. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.15.00280
- Reply to Letter to the Editor on "Functional Outcome and Quality of Life After Patient-Specific Instrumentation in Total Knee Arthroplasty". Chen JY, Chin PL, Tay DK, Chia SL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ
- Intra-articular administration of tranexamic acid in total hip arthroplasty.-Chen JY, Lo NN, Tay DK, Chin PL, Chia SL, Yeo SJ.-J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2015 Aug;23(2):213-7.
- Gender difference in outcome after total knee replacement. Lim JB, Chi CH, Lo LE, Lo WT, Chia SL, Yeo SJ, Chin PL, Tay KJ, Lo NN. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2015 Aug;23(2):194-7.
- Gender-specific total knee arthroplasty in Singaporean women. Lim JB, Chong HC, Ling K, Teo A, Yeo SJ, Chia SL, Chin PL, Tay D, Lo NN. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2015 Aug;23(2):190-3.
- Short-term outcome after computer-assisted versus conventional total knee arthroplasty: a randomised controlled trial. Lee WT, Chin PL, Lo NN, Yeo SJ. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2015 Apr;23(1):71-5.
- Comparison of patient quality of life scores and satisfaction after common orthopedic surgical interventions. Lim JB, Chou AC, Yeo W, Lo NN, Chia SL, Chin PL, Tay DK, Yeo SJ. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2015 Aug;25(6):1007-12. doi: 10.1007/s00590-015-1635-0. Epub 2015 Apr 19.
- Reducing allograft contamination and disease transmission: intraosseous temperatures of femoral head allografts during autoclaving. Ang CY, Yew AK, Tay DK, Chia SL, Yeo SJ, Lo NN, Chin PL. Singapore Med J. 2014 Oct;55(10):526-8.