THE ORTHOPAEDIC CENTRE
Dr Tan Sok Chuen
Hip And Knee Specialist
MBBS (Singapore), MRCSEd, MMED (Ortho), FRCSEd (Ortho)
Dr Tan Sok Chuen is an orthopaedic surgery specialist with subspecialty training in hip and knee surgery. Prior to joining The Orthopaedic Centre, she was practising as a Consultant in Orthopaedic Surgery at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, and is one of the highest volume surgeons. Dr Tan graduated from the National University of Singapore in 2004, thereafter she was enrolled into the Orthopaedic Seamless Training programme during which she rotated through all tertiary institutions in Singapore including SGH and NUH. Upon completion of her post-graduate training and examinations, she was conferred the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery. Sub-specialising in hip and knee surgery, Dr Tan completed her clinical fellowship in Hip & Knee Surgery at Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, United Kingdom in 2016, as well as a research and clinical fellowship at the London Health Sciences Centre, Ontario, Canada in 2015. The Nuffield Centre is renowned for partial knee replacements, and the London Health Sciences Centre is one of the most famous joint revision centres in North America, thus giving her a wide exposure in joint replacement surgeries.
As a firm believer of training the younger doctors, Dr Tan holds the position of Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Clinical Faculty for Medical Undergraduate Teaching Program. She received the award for the Best Undergraduate Tutor in 2014. Throughout her practice, she was the Advanced Trauma Life Support Instructor in 2013, faculty for the AO Trauma ORP and Advances Course 2013, table instructor for Direct Anterior Hip Cadaveric Course of London Health Sciences Centre in 2015, faculty and speaker for Residency Basic Knee and Hip Cadaveric Course. She was the Chief Convenor for Joint Specialty Fellowship Examination for Orthopaedics 2018. She was also the Course Chairperson for the 6th Residency Arthroplasty Course 2018, and faculty for the 2018 SOA Precongress Workshop on NAVIO Robotics in Knee Surgery.
Dr Tan has contributed extensively to the scientific literature of hip and knee arthroplasty. She has also had numerous presentations accepted at various local and international scientific meetings. Her publications on trunnionosis in hip replacements are frequently quoted in indexed journals.
Dr Tan is the first woman hip and knee replacement surgeon in Singapore. Being also a mother of an active toddler, she understands the demands of the modern working mother, and the need for mobility and minimum down-time. She believes that all women should be able to age gracefully and have quality of life even in old age. Thus her interest in minimally-invasive joint replacement surgery and osteoporosis treatment.
- Tribocorrosion: Ceramic and Oxidized Zirconium vs Cobalt Chromium Heads in Total Hip Arthroplasty. Sok Chuen Tan, Adrian Lau CK, Christopher Del Balso, James L Howard, Brent A Lanting, Matthew G Teeter. ORS 2016 Poster, AAOS 2016 Poster. Journal of Arthroplasty 2016 Feb 27. Doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2016.02.027.
- Effect of Taper Design on Trunnionosis in Metal on Polyethylene Total Hip Arthroplasty. Sok Chuen Tan, Matthew G Teeter, Christopher Del Balso, James L Howard, Brent A Lanting. Journal of Arthroplasty 2015 Jul;30(7):1269-72. Doi:10.1016/j.arth.2015.02.031.
- Does the Additional Articulation in Retrieved Bipolar Hemiarthroplasty Implants Decrease Trunnionosis Compared to Total Hip Arthroplasty? Christopher Del Balso, Brent Lanting, Sok Chuen Tan, James Howard, Matthew Teeter. J Arthroplasty 2017. Epub. Poster presentation at Canadian Orthopaedic Association Meeting June 2015 Vancouver; poster presentation at AAOS 2016.
- Trunnionosis: Does head size affect fretting and corrosion in Total Hip Arthroplasty. Christopher Del Balso, Matthew Teeter, Sok Chuen Tan, James Howard, Brent Lanting. Podium presentation at Canadian Orthopaedic Association Meeting June 2015 Vancouver. Submitted to JOA. Poster presentation at AAOS 2016.
- Trunnionosis: Does head length affect fretting and corrosion in total hip arthroplasty. Christopher Del Balso, Matthew Teeter, Sok Chuen Tan, Brent Lanting, James Howard. Podium presentation at Canadian Orthopaedic Association Meeting June 2015 Vancouver.
- Taperosis: Does head length affect fretting and corrosion in total hip arthroplasty? Christopher DelBalso, Matthew G Teeter, Sok Chuen Tan, Brent A Lanting, James L Howard. Bone Joint Journal. 2015 Jul;97-B(7):911-6. Doi:10.1302/0301-620X.97B7.35149.
- Atypical femoral stress fracture in bisphosphonate-free patients. Osteoporosis International Sept 2010, Tan SC, Koh SBJ, Goh SK, Howe TS.
- Association of surgeon factors with outcome scores after total knee arthroplasty. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery (Hong Kong). 2014 Dec;22(3):378-82. Tan SC, Chan YH, Chong HC, Yeo SJ, Chin PL, Chia SL, Lo NN.