THE ORTHOPAEDIC CENTRE
Dr Yue Wai Mun
Medical Director/ Spine Specialist
MBBS (Singapore), FRCS (Edinburgh), FAMS (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Dr Yue Wai Mun, a spine and scoliosis specialist surgeon, graduated in 1992 from the National University of Singapore and was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1998. He completed his training in orthopaedic surgery in Singapore and received the N Balachandran Memorial Award for Outstanding Orthopaedic Trainee in 2001. He received the Health Manpower Development Plan award from the Ministry of Health, Singapore, and completed his clinical Spine Fellowship with the University of Missouri-Columbia/ Columbia Orthopaedic Group in 2003. He became a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine (Orthopaedic Surgery) in 2004.
Before leaving for private practice, Dr Yue Wai Mun was a Senior Consultant in the Spine Service of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, which is the largest orthopaedic unit in Singapore. He was also the Director of the Spine Fellowship Programme and Director of Quality Assurance and Clinical Governance, amongst his many appointments. He still holds the appointments of Adjunct Associate Professor at the Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School and Clinical Senior Lecturer at the National University of Singapore. He remains on the Master of Medicine (Orthopaedic) Committee and is an Examiner for the Joint Specialty Fellowship Examination in Orthopaedic Surgery, Master of Medicine Examination in both Orthopaedic Surgery and Family Medicine and the MBBS Examination in the National University of Singapore.
Dr Yue Wai Mun has vast interests and experience in treating complex spinal problems, ranging from the cervical to the lumbar spine. He is one of the leading pioneers and recognised experts in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and Computed Navigated Spine Surgery in the Asia-Pacific region.
Dr Yue has been admitted as a member of the North American Spine Society, Asia Pacific Spine Society Cervical Spine Research Society and the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. He is a Life Member of the Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association and a Founding Member of the Cervical Spine Research Society – Asia-Pacific Section. He has held numerous leadership positions in professional societies, locally and internationally, as well as served in their scientific committees. He is also a reviewer for several major scientific journals, including Spine, the leading journal on the study and treatment of spinal disorders.
Dr Yue has contributed extensively to the scientific literature, as leading or senior author, including several landmark publications on Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery in Singapore, Anterior Cervical Spine Surgery, Posterior Spine Surgery, Cervical Disc Replacement Surgery and Spinal Deformities. He has also had numerous presentations accepted at various local and international scientific meetings. This includes winning the best paper award at the Society for Minimally Spine Surgery meeting in the United States in 2010.
Dr Yue Wai Mun has been invited to deliver lectures, conduct workshops in advanced spinal procedures and perform demonstration surgeries in the United States, Europe, China, Japan, Korea, India, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand and Brunei.
His interests include:
- Minimally invasive lumbar discectomy
- Minimally invasive spinal decompression
- Minimally invasive fusion and instrumentation
- Minimally invasive treatment of fractures with pedicle screws, kyphoplasty and/or vertebroplasty
- Cervical spine fusion and instrumentation
- Cervical spine disc replacement
- Complex cervical spine decompression and reconstruction for deformities, infection, tumours, rheumatoid arthritis
- Adolescent and adult scoliosis correction
- Complex thoracic and lumbar spine decompression and reconstruction for deformities, infection and spine tumour surgeries
- Motion preservation spine procedures
He has also helped develop management pathways in the above procedures, reducing the hospital stay required after major spine surgeries.
Read the full CV of Dr Yue
- A Green, PWT Cheong, S Fook-Cheong, R Tiruchelvarayan, CM Guo, WM Yue, J Chen, YL Lo. Cortical Reorganisation Is Associated with Surgical Decompression of Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy. Neural Plasticity 2015 Article 389531 in press
- CL Ang, BPB Tow, S Fook, CM Guo, JLT Chen, WM Yue, SB Tan. Minimally Invasive Compared With Open Lumbar Laminotomy: No Functional Benefits at 6 or 24 months after Surgery. Spine J Aug 2015; 15(8): 1705-12
- GWW Ee, L Jiang, CM Guo, W Yeo, SB Tan, BPB Tow, JLT Chen, WM Yue. Comparison of Clinical Outcomes and Radiographic Measurements in Four Different Treatment Modalities for Osteoporotic Compression Fractures. J Spinal Disord Techniques Jul 2015; 28(6): E328-35
- KH Lee, W Yeo, H Soeharno, WM Yue. Learning Curve of a Complex Surgical Technique: Minimally Invasive Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (MIS TLIF). J Spinal Disord Tech 2014; 27(7): E234-40
- YL Lo, PW Cheong, JM George, SB Tan, WM Yue, CM Guo, S Fook-Chong. Pregabalin and Radicular Pain Study (PARPS) for Cervical Spondylosis in a Multiracial Asian Population. J Clin Med Res. 2014; 6(1): 66-71
- GWW Ee, WL Lau, W Yeo, Y Von Bing, WM Yue. Does Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Have a Lower Risk of Surgical Site Infections Compared with Open Spinal Surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2014; 472(6): 1718-24
- BPB Tow, WM Yue, A Srivastava, JM Lai, CM Guo, BCW Peng, JLYT Chen, AKS Yew, CS Seng, SB Tan. Does Navigation Improve Accuracy of Placement of Pedicle Screws in Single Level Lumbar Degenerative Spondylolisthesis? - A Comparison between Free-hand and 3D O-Arm Navigation Techniques. J Spinal Disord Techniques epub 30 Oct 2013
- CS Seng, MA Siddiqui, KPL Wong, K Zhang, W Yeo, SB Tan, WM Yue. Five-Year Outcomes of Minimally Invasive Versus Open Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion: A Matched-Pair Comparison Study. Spine 2013: 38(23): 2049-55
- CS Seng, BPB Tow, MA Siddiqui, A Srivastava, LS Wang , AKS Yew, W Yeo, R Khoo, NM Shanmugam, H Rahmatullah, JLT Chen, CM Guo, SB Tan, WM Yue. Surgically Treated Cervical Myelopathy: A Functional Outcome Comparison Study Between Multiple Level Anterior Cervical Decompression Fusion with Instrumentation and Posterior Laminoplasty. Spine J 2013: 13(7): 723-31
- Siddiqui MA, Seng CS, Shanmugam N, Yeo W, Zhang K, Chong HC, Chen JLT, Guo CM, SB Tan, WM Yue. 2-Year Outcome on Erectile Dysfunction in Patients under 50 Years of Age with Fracture-Unrelated Lumbar Spine Disease Requiring Surgical Decompression-A Prospective Study. Spine 2013: 38(10): 846-50
- B Tow, J Boey, WM Yue. The Use of Percutaneous Aperius Interspinous Space in Laminectomy: Matched-Pair Analysis Lap Lambert Academic Publishing 2012 (Book ISBN-10: 3848489260)
- KH Lee, WM Yue, W Yeo, H Soeharno, SB Tan. Clinical and Radiological Outcomes of Open versus Minimally Invasive Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion. Eur Spine J 2012: 21: 2265-2270
- Siddiqui MA, Peng B, Shanmugam N, Yeo W, Fook-Cheong S, Chen JLT, Guo CM, SB Tan, WM Yue. Erectile Dysfunction in Young Surgically Treated Patients with Lumbar Spine Disease-A Prospective Follow-up Study. Spine 2012: 37(9): 797-801
- Puah KL, Tow BPB, Yue WM, Guo CM, Chen JLT, Tan SB Spontaneous Cervical Spinal Epidural Haematoma in the Post-Partum Period. Spine 2012: 37(6): E408-410
- SY Poh, WM Yue, JLT Chen, CM Guo, Yeo W, SB Tan. Two-Year Outcomes of Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion. J Orthop Surg 2011: 19(2): 135-40
- CWB Peng, WM Yue, CM Guo, BPB Tow, JLT Chen, M Nidu, W Yeo, SB Tan. Intermediate Results of the Prestige-LP Cervical Disc Replacement: Clinical and Radiological Analysis with Minimum 2 Year Follow Up. Spine 2011: 36(2):E105-11.
- YL Lo, YF Dan, YE Tan, A Teo, SB Tan, WM Yue, CM Guo, S Fook-Chong. Clinical and Physiological Effects of Transcranial Electrical Position on Motor Evoked Potentials in Scoliosis Surgery. Scoliosis 2010, 5:3
- CW Peng, WM Yue, SB Tan. Clinical Outcome of Minimally Invasive vs Open Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion. Spine 2009: 34(13) 1385-9
- YL Lo, Y Dan, A Teo, WM Yue, S Raman, S Tan. The value of bilateral ipsilateral and contralateral motor evoked potential monitoring in scoliosis surgery. Eur Spine J 2008: 17(Suppl 2): S236-8
- LSS Foo, W Yeo, S Fook, CM Guo, JLT Chen, WM Yue, SB Tan. Results, experience and technical points learnt with use of the SKy Bone Expander kyphoplasty system for osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: a prospective study of 40 patients with a minimum of 12 months of follow-up. Eur Spine J 2007: 16(11): 1944-50
- YL Lo, YM Tan, S Fook-Chong, P Boolsambrata, WM Yue, LL Chan, SB Tan. Role of Spinal Inhibitory Mechanisms in Whiplash Injuries. J Neurotrauma 2007; 24(6): 1055-67
- WM Yue, W Brodner, TR Highland. Long-term Results After Anterior Discectomy and Fusion with Allograft and Plating: A 5- to 11-Year Radiologic and Clinical Follow-up Study. Spine 2005; 30(19): 2138-44
- WM Yue, W Brodner, RW Gaines. Abnormal Spinal Anatomy in 27 Cases of Surgically Corrected Spondyloptosis: Proximal Sacral Endplate Damage as a Possible Cause of Spondyloptosis. Spine 2005; 30(6S) Supplement:S22-S26
- WM Yue, W Brodner, TR Highland. Persistent Swallowing and Voice Problems after Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion with Allograft and Plating - A 5- to 11-Year Follow-Up Study. Eur Spine J 2005; 14:677-82
- WM Yue, B K Tay, S T Kasinathan. Patellar Allografts in Anterior Cervical Fusion – A Two-Year Clinical and Radiographic Study. Singapore Med J 2003; 44(10): 521-525
- W Brodner, WM Yue, H Moeller, KJ Hendricks, TA Burd, RW Gaines. Short Segment Bone-On-Bone Instrumentation for Single Curve Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine 2003; 28(20): S224-33
- WM Yue, SB Tan. Distant Skip Level Discitis and Vertebral Osteomyelitis after Caudal Epidural Injection. A case report of a rare complication of epidural injections. Spine 2003; 28(11): E209-11
- WM Yue, W Brodner, RW Gaines. Congenital Scoliosis Secondary to Hemivertebra. Spine Case Study online 1 Nov 2002
- HK Wong, WM Yue: Orthopaedic Review- Approach to Neck Pain. The Singapore Family Physician 2000; 26(4): 24-9
- WM Yue, SB Tan, MH Tan, CT Tan. The Torg-Pavlov Ratio in Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy A Comparative Study Between Patients with Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy and a Non-Spondylotic, Non-Myelopathic Population. Spine 2001; 26(16): 1760-4
- WM Yue, CT Tan, SB Tan, SK Tan, BK Tay. Results of cervical laminoplasty and a comparison between the single and double trap-door techniques. J Spinal Disorders 2000; 13(4): 329-35