THE ORTHOPAEDIC CENTRE
Dr Dennis Ng Zhaowen
Shoulder Knee Elbow Specialist
MBBS (Singapore), MRCSEd, MMED, FRCSEd Orth (Gold Medal Award)
Dr Dennis Ng is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with more than 13 years of clinical experience and specialises in the treatment of Shoulder, Knee and Elbow conditions.
He obtained his medical degree (MBBS) from the National University of Singapore in 2007 and was awarded Dean’s List in AY2003/04. Subsequently, he pursued his postgraduate training in Orthopaedic Surgery and obtained his Masters of Medicine in 2013. In 2015, he received the Gold Medal Award for being the top candidate in the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons Examination (FRCSEd Orth).
Dr Dennis Ng was awarded the Human Manpower Development Plan scholarship from the Ministry of Health and underwent subspecialty training at the esteemed Fowler Kennedy Sports Medicine Centre, Ontario, Canada. He has extensive experience with the management of sports injuries, having treated professional athletes in North America.
He was the Deputy Head of the Shoulder & Elbow Division and a key member of the Sports Medicine Division in National University Hospital before moving on to private practice. Common conditions that he treats include frozen shoulder, rotator cuff tears, shoulder impingement, shoulder dislocation and instability, shoulder arthritis, upper limb fractures, tennis elbow, as well as knee conditions such as knee cartilage injury, ligament tears (ACL), meniscus tears and knee arthritis.
He is skilled in minimally invasive techniques for better surgical outcomes and reduced downtime. Patients include national athletes for sports such as basketball, soccer, judo, rugby, rock climbing and cycling etc.
As a firm believer in the training of younger surgeons, Dr Ng was a Core Faculty for the NUH Residency Program, and part of the Organizing Committee for the National Shoulder & Knee Arthroscopy Course. He was conferred the title of Assistant Professor by the National University of Singapore and was also appointed to various positions at the institution. These included Patient Safety Officer, and Clinical Documentation and DRG Coding Clinician Champion.
He was also responsible for the supervision and mentoring of residents posted to the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NUH. In May 2018, he was the Co-Convenor for the Joint Specialty Fellowship Examination in Orthopaedic Surgery. Besides postgraduate teaching, Dr Ng was also involved with undergraduate teaching in clinics and tutorial sessions. He was the Convenor for AY17/18 – 3rd Professional MBBS Examinations and was also regularly involved as an invigilator for the MBBS Phase III and V examinations.
Besides his clinical duties, Dr Ng has also contributed to the scientific literature of Orthopaedic Surgery with papers published and abstracts presented at both local and international medical conferences.
- Morey VM, Chua KHZ, Ng ZD, Tan HMB, Kumar VP. Management of the floating shoulder: Does the glenopolar angle influence outcomes? A systematic review. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2018;104(1):53-58. doi:10.1016/j.otsr.2017.11.004.
- Ng ZD, Lau BPH, Tan BHM, Kumar VP. Single Working Portal Technique for Knotless Arthroscopic Bankart Repair. Arthrosc Tech. 2017;6(5). doi:10.1016/j.eats.2017.07.021.
- Kumar K, Makandura M, Leong NJJ, Ng ZD et al. Is the apprehension test sufficient for the diagnosis of anterior shoulder instability in young patients without magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)? Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2015;44(5)
- Ng ZD, Lee KBL. Unipolar versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly: Is there a difference? Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2015;44(6).
- Ng ZD, Kumar VP. Arthroscopic bankart repair using knot-tying versus knotless suture anchors: Is there a difference? Arthrosc - J Arthrosc Relat Surg. 2014;30(4). doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2014.01.005.
- Ng ZD, Krishna L. Cemented versus Cementless Hemiarthroplasty for Femoral Neck Fractures in the Elderly. J Orthop Surg. 2014;22(2):186-189. doi:10.1177/230949901402200214.
- Nather A, Wong KL, Lim AS, Ng ZD, Hey HW. The modified Pirogoff’s amputation in treating diabetic foot infections: surgical technique and case series. Diabet Foot Ankle. 2014;5. doi:10.3402/dfa.v5.23354.
- Ng ZD, Das De S. Modified Mitchell’s Osteotomy for Moderate to Severe Hallux Valgus—An Outcome Study. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2011;50(1):50-54. doi:10.1053/j.jfas.2010.10.005.
- Ng ZD, De S Das. Modified Brostrom-Evans-Gould Technique for Recurrent Lateral Ankle Ligament Instability. J Orthop Surg. 2007;15(3):306-310. doi:10.1177/230949900701500313.
- Ng ZD, Goh BKP, Tham EHW, Young SM, Ooi LLPJ. Cystic neoplasms of the pancreas: current diagnostic modalities and management. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2009;38(3):251-259. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19347080. Accessed March 17, 2018.
- Ng ZD, Lee KBL. Unipolar versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly: functional outcome and complications in an Asian population. SICOT, XXV Triennial World Congress. Prague, Czech Republic 2011
- Ng ZD, Das De S. Modified Mitchell’s Osteotomy for the Treatment of Moderate to Severe Hallux Valgus – An Outcome Study. Singapore Orthopaedic Association, 31st Annual Scientific Meeting 2008
- Ng ZD, K Lee. Unipolar versus bipolar hemirthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly: functional outcomes and complications in an Asian population. Singapore Orthopaedic Association, 33rd Annual Scientific Meeting 2010
- Ng ZD, Tham HE, Koh DC. Right sided diverticular disease in Asians. A diagnostic challenge. American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Annual and Tripartite Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts 2008