Dr Chin Pak Lin shared with Joan Chew, from The Straits Times, on the common injuries tennis players suffer from and how they would occur during a game of tennis.
Tennis may be a good sport with many health benefits but, like most sports, it can wreak havoc on the body as well. Even tennis stars like Li Na, who retired due to persistent knee injuries, are not spared. Tennis players usually suffer muscle and ligament strains and sprains. Dr Chin explained the common tennis injuries on the wrist, elbow, shoulder, back, knee and lower leg.
Stay injury-free during a game of tennis by:
- Doing enough warm-up and cool-down exercises
- Using the right equipment like tennis shoes with skid-resistant soles
- Learning to play correctly and with proper techniques
- Making rest a priority and having adequate rest
- Getting tennis injuries promptly treated