- The end of the day is the best time to choose running shoes for purchase, since your feet would be the most swollen then.
- Your running shoes should have arch support, especially for those with flat foot. Be wary of wearing flip flops for running as they have no arch support.
- Monitor your running mileage and only increase it slowly and steadily.
Dr Su also gave some advice on wearing minimalist shoes:
- Running with heel strike is inefficient.
- The purpose of wearing minimalist shoes is to shorten strides, and land more in the mid and forefoot as opposed to heel striking with well-cushioned shoes.
- Minimalist shoes are however known to cause injuries even for those who are adequately fit in running.
- You can still try to adapt to the more efficient mid and forefoot strike even with non-minimalist shoes.